Frequently Asked Questions

    How do I arrange a viewing?

    Once you have found a property that you are interested in, get in touch with the office and we can arrange a suitable time for you to view the property.

    Our staff are fully trained and will make the process of finding the perfect home for you as simple as possible. The more information you can give them to explain exactly what you are looking for the easier it will be for them find you your ideal property.

    In light of the recent Covid-19 outbreak and regulations, where possible we are sending an initial video tour of the property. Once you have viewed the video, if you are still interested then we will arrange for you to view the property in person. Please note that PPE (minimum of a face mask) must be worn on viewings

    What documentation do I need to provide to rent a property?

    If you wish to proceed with renting the property, we will require you to complete an application form and provide supporting documentation.

    The documentation we require include;

    • ID (Passport OR Driving Licence AND Birth Certificate)
    • Proof of Earnings (last three payslips OR last three-months’ bank statements OR letter from employer confirming salary)
    • Proof of Current Address (Recent bank statement or utility bill)
    • Biometric Residence Permit / Visa (where applicable)
    • Student Status Certificate (Full-time students only)
    • Confirmation of Student Finance Payments (Students only, where applicable)

    Do you accept application from tenants in receipt of Universal Credit?

    Applications from tenants in receipt of Universal Credit are accepted. You will need to provide proof of the payment amounts that you are receiving to prove affordability. The affordability calculator that we work to is you should be receiving and income of 2.5 times the rent. You will also need to provide a UK-based guarantor who is working full-time.

    What is a guarantor and do I need a guarantor?

    A guarantor is someone who guarantees that rent will be received for the duration of a tenancy. If rental payments are not received from the tenant, a guarantor would need to make payment. A guarantor is someone who is living and working full-time in the UK, preferably a homeowner.

    If you are not in full time employment or fail to pass our credit checks, you will need to provide a Guarantor. E.g. if you are a student or in receipt of Universal Credit.

    I cannot provide a guarantor, what should I do?

    If you are unable to provide a suitable guarantor then many of the Landlord’s we work with would be willing to accept advance payments. Either quarterly, termly inline with student finance payments, 6-monthly or annually.

    Do I need to pay to reserve a property?

    We take a holding deposit the equivalent of 1-weeks rent. For example, if the rent is £500 the holding deposit would be £115. This reserves the property and remove it from our availability list.

    The holding deposit will be deducted from the first month’s rent. Should you withdraw from the proposed letting, through no fault of the landlord or the agent, the holding deposit will be retained to cover any reasonable costs.

    None of the holding deposit will be retained should the tenant’s withdrawal be due to a breach of the proposed letting agreement by the landlord or managing agent.

    What credit and referencing checks do you do?

    Referencing commences on receipt of the holding deposit, application form and supporting documents. Our checks include;

    • References from your current landlord and employer
    • Confirmation of employment and proof of salary
    • Credit check (completed by a third-party e.g. Rent4sure)
    • Photographic Identification Check / Right-to Rent Immigration Check

    We will then inform you if your application has been successful.

    Do you take a security deposit?

    Yes, all of the properties we manage require a security deposit. This is usually the equivalent of 5-weeks rent, however it may vary dependent on the Landlord of the property.

    This is required within 1-week of paying the holding deposit, or sooner if you are looking to move in quickly. We need to receive the deposit a minimum of 48-hours in advance of move-in. We can be flexible on the date the deposit is received but any agreement would be outline as part of the application form.

    Will I receive a Tenancy Agreement?

    Yes, you will receive an Assured Shorthand Tenancy Agreement. Both the landlord (or appointed representative) and tenant(s) will be required to sign a tenancy agreement prior to the tenancy commencing. The agreement outlines both the tenant and landlords’ obligations.

    What contract length do you offer?

    Most tenancies run for a minimum period of 12-months although some are available for 6-months. We do not offer shorter contracts than 6-month. We will contact you towards the end of the tenancy to see whether you wish to renew your agreement for a further period and will liaise with the landlord to organise the paperwork.

    When do I need to pay my rent?

    The first rental payment is due in cleared funds on the start date of the tenancy. The holding deposit that has been paid will be deducted from the payment due. Please note that the first rental payment will be needed to be paid in full and the tenancy agreement signed by all parties prior to keys being issued.

    The terms for making ongoing rental payments are outlined within your Tenancy Agreement. Again, payments will need to be received in cleared funds on the day that payment is due.

    How do I pay my rent?

    For managed properties, rental payments should be made by standing order from the tenants’ bank account to our bank account. If the property is not ‘fully managed’, rent is payable by standing order directly to the landlord.

    We have a system called ‘Barclay Pay’ whereby we can setup automated payments. This can be arranged at your move-in appointment.

    Who should I report maintenance to?

    Many of our properties our held on a ‘fully managed’ basis. If this is the case with the property you have chosen, we will inform you prior to your tenancy commencing.

    If we are managing the property, then any faults with appliances or problems within the property will need to be reported to us and we will deal with the problem as quickly and efficiently as possible.

    We have an app called ‘MyProperty File’ where you can report maintenance. You will be given access to this when you become a tenant.

    Failure to report an ongoing problem may turn the responsibility on to you. If the property is not on a fully managed basis then you should liaise directly with the landlord on any issues.

    Do I need to take out an insurance policy for my belongings?

    Your belongings are your responsibility and you must ensure you have adequate contents insurance to cover them.

    The Landlord will have insurance for the building and his own contents, but their policy will not cover any of your belongings. The landlord accepts no responsibility and cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to tenants’ possessions.

    Will you carry out inspections during my tenancy?

    If we are instructed as managing agents for your property, we will carry out an inspection at least 6-months to assess the condition of the property. We will always arrange this with you with advanced warning at a pre-arranged time.

    Do I need to notify you if I am going away on holiday?

    If you intend to be away from the property for more than 2-weeks we request that you contact the office to inform us.

    How do I end my tenancy?

    To terminate your tenancy agreement, you will normally be required to give us at least one month notice in writing (unless otherwise specified in your specific tenancy agreement). If you are in a fixed term tenancy then you are responsible for the property and rental payments until the end of the fixed term. This is further outlines in the Tenancy Agreement.

    How do I get my deposit returned?

    When your tenancy ends, an inspection of the property will be carried out, either by the landlord or a member of the Homemaker Properties team. Any deductions will be discussed with you.

    We endeavour to return your deposit as soon as possible. We have 10-days to return your deposit if there are no deductions. If there are deductions, we have 30-days to return your deposit as extra time is required to obtain quotes to complete work.

    Where do I collect my keys from?

    Your keys will be ready for collection from the start date of your tenancy. You will need to come to our office, 50-52 Albany Road, Earlsdon, Coventry CV5 6JU. Keys will be released once full payment of the first rent has been received and all relevant documentation signed.

    Who is responsible for utility bills?

    The responsibility of utility bills will be outlined in your Tenancy Agreement. In most instances the properties that we rent out do not include bills and the responsibility will be with you, the Tenant. We will inform suppliers of a change in tenancy when you move into the property and they will direct any bills to you, as the tenant.

    The majority of our rooms are ‘All Inclusive’ and the bills are taken care of by the Landlord.

    Who is my energy supplier?

    This information will be included as part of your opening inventory. Alternatively, you can usually find the relevant information online at https://www.findmysupplier.energy/webapp/index.html