Anthony played quiz master at the Coventry PIN Meeting in February by testing attendee’s knowledge on the new Right-to-Rent checks that all Landlords should now be carrying out.
Right to Rent checks were introduced as part of the Immigration Act 2014. With effect from 1 February 2016, all private landlords in England should be checking that new tenants have the right to be in the UK before renting out their property. Failure to carry out the checks could result in a penalty of up to £3,000 per tenant.
Anthony’s questions and answers were sourced from HomeLet and included;
- How long should you keep copies of the tenant’s documents for?
- Can you accept an expired UK Passport?
- Will you need to check existing tenants, whose tenancy agreement started before the 1 February 2016?
- What is acceptable practice if the tenant is not currently in the country to show their documents?
- If the tenant says their documents have been stolen, what can you accept instead?
- If a tenant’s child turns 18 during the tenancy, when should you conduct their right to rent check?
Thank you to everyone that attended the PIN meeting and also those that took the time to come and speak to us. It’s great to hear how people are getting on with their property journey and also to offer support and advice.
If you would like to test you knowledge on Right to Rent you can download a copy of the presentation slides from the Downloads section of our website. Alternatively e-mail Homemaker Properties Marketing Manager, Alison McMullan – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Next Coventry PIN Meeting
The Homemaker Properties team will be back on Tuesday 8 March, where Kevin will provide an update surrounding the changes that are proposed to Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) and the new powers tenants will have. One not to be missed!
The main speakers for March will be Rob McPhun and Cassie Hicks Kerr. You can find out more about Coventry PIN and next months event by visiting https://propertyinvestorsnetwork.co.uk/meetings/coventry-and-warwickshire/. If you are new to PIN you can use the voucher code ‘homemaker’ for FREE entry.
We look forward to seeing you there!