Student Accommodation: 6 Top Tips for Students
It is never too early to start looking for student accommodation for the next academic year. Many Letting Agents across Coventry have started advertising properties to rent from August or September 2015 already. We have 6 top tips for looking for accommodation for next academic year!
- Take your time. Do not rush into making a decision and do not feel pressured. Once you sign the tenancy agreement you are committed to paying the rent from the start date of the tenancy agreement whether you move in or not.
- Where do you want to live? Is it important to be close to the University? Can you walk to University? If not, is there a good bus route near you, which will get you there.
- Think carefully about the people you want to live with. How many people do you want to share with? You may be good friends with someone now but will you still be friends in 6 months
- Go to lots of viewings. We don’t just mean look on a website! Book to go and see the property, make sure the viewing is with the Letting Agent or Landlord and ask lots of questions when you are there. If you are looking on your own, take a friend along to get a second opinion.
- Make sure you understand the costs. What is included? How much is the deposit, are there any agency fees to pay? Any good Letting Agent or Landlord would be happy to write down and explain the costs involved. Ensure you are shown an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) as this will give you an indication of heating bills – the lower the rating the more it will cost to heat.
- Find a guarantor. Many Letting Agents & Landlords would expect a Student Tenant to have a guarantor. This is someone that will have to pay rent should you, as the tenant, fail to do so. This is usually a parent or guardian but not always.
You can view a list of our current available properties on the Homemaker Properties website. We also advertise on Rightmove, Zoopla & Prime Location. If you find anything of interest and would like to arrange a viewing please contact our Lettings team by phone on 02476 100 390 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will happily help you on your search, please Register your Details along with a brief description of what you are looking for and where you are looking. Our team is ready and waiting to help you find your next home.